Friday, November 25, 2011

ZOLA JESUS + EMA

Yesterday Jaleh and I went to see
Zola Jesus + EMA
@Heaven, a gay friendly nightclub in London.

I bought a last minute ticket from Jaleh's friend who couldn't make it.
Having Zola on my Spotify playlist but not giving more than a background music listen at work a couple of times, I didn't really know what to except. Tbh I didn't really remember at all what her music was like.
Going to gigs is muchos fun anyways, so why not go now, too?


EMA

I don't really know what to say. There were HC fans in the audience, didn't include me though.
Not exactly my thing. Not bad either.
Smashed her guitar. Apparently for the first time, and after the show had said she was a bit sorry for doing it. Well, we were scared in the audience as she threw the guitar neck towards us. Didn't impress.
Jaleh talked with her later on and heard that the guitar was cheap.
Anyway, still not impressed.
First thoughts in my mind: 'You are a support act. Why do you waste money in ways like that? Doesn't look cool.'
But she made me talk, made her performance unforgettable - I guess that's important, too.

At least this woman has energy and attitude.
And - I do find her music better listened from my computer speakers than it sounds live. Maybe I'll give more of a listen and see if she could actually work on my playlist.

Listen here.


Spot half of EMA's guitar?


Zola Jesus

If I said EMA had energy, miss Zola must be a bomb waiting to explode.
Boy does she move on stage. And off stage. In the audience.

Music wise... I recognized a few songs but singing along was too much to ask.
Her music isn't exactly my thing either. Again, not bad - not good.
Didn't make me want to hype but didn't make me want to leave the venue either. At times she made me want to sway and lift my feet of the floor but I guess I was waiting for something super crazy to happen. For the climax. The atmosphere and show was kinda getting there as she ran into the audience and shouted 'jump, jump' but the whole situation didn't really kick off and I was left tensed waiting for that final explosion.


Again, music is better from my computer speakers than live. Live her voice was kind of mashed up in the synths and drum beats.

Watch and listen to her song 'Night' here.
Which was actually the best song she performed live. Maybe cos the lyrics were most clear out of all songs? And lyrics play a big role for me. Not only the words but how they blend in with the other instruments.


An interesting new music night. Experiences, experiences - as I like to say.
Also got to know a couple of lovely South-Africans in the audience who introduced me and Jaleh to a new way of enjoying the gig atmosphere and relaxing while waiting for the acts to begin.
I think I'll leave that little secret experience to myself and anyone who joins me to a future gig..

xo
Linda

All pictures were taken by either me or Jaleh with Maria's camera, and finalized with a quick color, etc. edit by me. I wasn't allowed in the venue with my Canon 600D. These pictures turned out pretty good though. What do you think? :-)
I did see someone else without a press pass snapping pictures in the audience with a Nikon whateversomething, though! BOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment