Thursday, December 8, 2011

Some sweet winter beats of I BREAK HORSES


On Monday I went to see the Swedish indie band
I Break Horses @Cargo, London

I fell for the band the first time I listened to it on Spotify.
The band had just come up as a suggestion on Spotify's main page and for some reason it seemed interesting. Funny though, as I'm not the biggest fan of horses...or maybe that's exactly the reason why?

Getting a ticket to the gig was harder than expected. The websites that sold the tickets all required an English bank account. And do I have one? No.
With having no idea of what the band's fanbase in England is, I didn't want to just rely on the possibility of there being tickets sold at the door. I contacted the Bella Union to ask if I could somehow purchase a ticket some other way. Arrangements were done, all was great and I was super super happy!


Electronic warm-up by Seams


Unfortunately my picture amount and quality from this gig is far too poor than wanted.
But that's not the main point, now, is it!

Anyway, I got to Cargo well on time. The gig was sold out, just like I imagined it would be.
But what what what...
To my surprise I had been put on the guestlist, which I can't thank the Bella Union and Simon Raymond enough for. I've heard so many nice words about the company and about the man himself, and I couldn't agree more. The company definitely knows what is important in the music business right now. How to make those fan engagements and work for the band's benefit.
This experience was just far, far too kind and the sweetest cherry on top. Thank you.

I Break Horses.
The music. Sounds. Style. Modest, shy performance. Small things, ever so small things that made the atmosphere in the room magical and a world of it's own. You could just see and feel the audience love and love the band more. And the singer's red cape.
Surprisingly the room was full of men (guessing) +28 and +50. I felt like the only one my age, or even close to it by 5 years.

I Break Horses gives me the same vibes as Explosions In The Sky does. (read my EITS post here) Magical, purely magical. Dreamy, calming and positively melancholic if such can be said. Relaxing, but sometimes just makes me want to run. Yes, I've listened to both bands while jogging.

A big yes for this band. A large one. With a smile. The biggest one.


As the band tours more, I'm predicting their performance will change and become a bit more lively. The shyness will little by little fade. I'm guessing, hoping and fairly sure it won't turn crazy lively, as that's not what their music is like or needs.
The band is beautiful. Swedish music at its best - yet again.

Close your eyes, listen to this, relax and enjoy.


<3
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment