Friday, September 7, 2012

Crete - Hersonissos and more



From Chania we headed off to our hotel resort in Hersonissos.
Beach, pool, inland car drives, a lot of fresh orange juice and Zeus.
That's how our holiday continued.


1. We visited this town (name - no idea) that had a 2500 year old tree. Still growing, still all healthy and well! Stopped by at a local cafe. They were drying grapes outside and we got to taste the fresh raisins.


2. We stopped at a couple of places to have a proper look at the view. The roads we drove were little. Tiny. Narrow. Steep. And some of the main roads were in the weirdest places! We had to drive long up a mountain, really doubting we'd get anywhere, and suddenly, on top of the mountain, there was a big road in perfect condition.


3. Zeus.
We visited the area where Zeus was said to be born. They definitely made sure Zeus wouldn't be found as the exact spot was up a long mountain up from where you entered a cave. Oh what a walk in that heat. Obviously as a tourist attraction the place had a bunch of donkeys to carry people up. One of our travel companions stated: "I don't need your donkey. I have these three of my own with me." Thanks! ;-)


4. Our resort.
Nice. Very cosy. I love it when I have my own kitchen to cook in.
Though far, very far away. And no WiFi in rooms, and the only WiFi that they had (in the reception lobby) cost. It's 2012, I think 5* hotels should have free Internet access..and in the rooms themselves. I know - I was on holiday. But still.
The animators of the resort were amazing! So entertaining. Great job Mattia & Nelly.


5. Beach.
We drove to a small beach outside of Heraklion.
The beaches in Crete aren't ah-mazing, but it was relaxing to spend a day laying on sunbeds, having fresh air blow your hair and swimming with an air mattress in the sea.


6. Being the fish soup!
I did this fish pedicure in London with Taru last year.
They had a lot of these in Crete and I really wanted to see how Ingar would react to those little fishies biting his skin off from his feet. First three seconds were all girly giggling, after which he succeeded enjoying the treatment rather well. :-)

 

7. Happy Birthday!
One of our co-travellers had her birthday. Happy Birthdayyyy!
That cherry cake was sinful.


I brought home some organic olive oil. Now I'm craving for some baguette dipped in the oil with himalayan salt in it. YUMMM.
Oh, I also managed to get a little tan. Better than 2weeks in Cuba. Now I've learnt that one gets tanned when not trying to. Forget the solarium go's before traveling. It doesn't help a shait.

Have a beautiful weekend. Smile!

<3
Linda

3 comments: